Thursday 5 December 2013

A New Movie: Twelve Years A Slave

   A graphic movie about a black man in the mid-1800s. He was a well-to-do free man, a talented and respected violinist living in New York with his beloved wife and two darling children, until he was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
   What a powerful story, and how dangerous to be a black person in a racist white world.
   Being a white Canadian I cannot imagine what those who have descended from slavery must feel when watching this.
   The terrifying thing about this movie is that it still happens today, kidnapping and selling people into slavery, but usually to women and children, regardless of skin colour.

I'm not sure how to rate this movie. It was very well made, so I guess 5/5. I'm not saying I'd ever want to watch it again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment